Thursday 18 March 2010

WERTHER'S CHOCOLATE - from grandpas to crazy ladies


The latest ad campaign to drive me up the wall has to be the new Werther's ads.


When I think of Werther's, I think of a warm and fuzzy camera shot of a cosy living room, with a flat-capped grandpa offering a gold-wrapped toffee to a little blond grandson who looks so tooth-achingly sweet in the first place that you start to wonder if the Werther's will tip him over the edge into diabetes.


Werther's have ditched this angle (probably partly due to the fact that you can't put an old man with a young person on TV anymore as we'll only think it's a "Watch out for paedos on the internet" warning) and have moved into the trend of marketing confectionery to women, which has previously worked for many brands.

My only concern is that after watching the new series of ads, filmed as cheesy "testimonials" from women trying the Werther's Chocolate product, I'm wondering if the new sweet has brain zapping power. You want proof?? Listen to Mika's terrifying testimony! ::
(click here if you want to see the shocking proof http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a83tTN64qV4&feature=related)

I love Werther's.. and I love chocolate. (yeah, chocolate's good, we hear you)
I wonder if it's more chocolate... or more Werther's (not really that bothered...)
[tries a sweet]
Well it's interesting.. cos first of all you get the milk chocolate, but then immediately the Werther's! (well that's probably why it's called Werther's Chocolate?)
THAT'S QUITE MAD! (Christ, Mika... bit OTT)
It's really good actually! (Err Mika?.. are you alright?!)
Mm it's delicious! (MIKA! EARTH TO MIKA!)
ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!! (STEP AWAAAY FROM THE SWEETS, LADY!)


Scary... Think I almost preferred the paedo grandpa.




No comments:

Post a Comment