Sunday 11 April 2010

Cathay Pacific - more than just an airline, by the looks!

Waiting at a jam-packed Moorgate station the other day, I become transfixed by this bizarre advert on the tube.




This is apparently an advert for Cathay Pacific airlines. Call me crazy, but nothing in the images make me think of airlines. Or holidays. Or travel, or surely ANYTHING I should be thinking when I look at an ad for an airline?!

There's some text on the other side - Great Service. Great People. Great Fares. But to be honest I'm kind of ignoring that and instead spend a good 2 minutes considering why an airline would promote its service by picturing a member of staff in a blonde wig. I double check - alas, not a single mention of a free wig with every flight.


I just don't get it! Am I supposed to think that these Cathay Pacific girls would be fun on a night out? The childish looking girl in the pic on the far left looks like she would be better suited to a Disney ad, and the wig is just making me think of Lost In Translation (surely Bill Murray is not renowned for his flight-selling skills). Equally not sure how to interpret the other lady, who looks pretty much the same in or out of her uniform.

Left with no real clues, except a vague notion that perhaps the idea is that the staff are great as are the people that live in the destinations, my brain starts warping and I'm thinking that if I was a bloke I might be hoping the "Great service" would be a little more than a hot meal and a packet of peanuts (I am blaming this notion on the wig, finger pout and low-cut top, not my own sick mind... i don't think...).

Any interpretations welcome - I'm lost on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment